Thursday, February 14, 2013

Going to Africa!

Okay, so the first of two requested miracles has happened. My passport came through! I still can’t believe they pulled it off. So now I am running around like a crazy women packing and trying to prepare to leave tonight/early morning at 4am to drive down to Brussels to get a visa as soon as the Guinea embassy opens then speed to the Brussels airport.
It’s looking like it’ll be a LONG two days but it’s looking VERY positive again. Unbelievable. Thank you for all of your prayers out there. Just waiting for the old passport to show up. My new one is only temporary and really strange because it’s WHITE, with only 8 pages total. Unfortunately, as soon as I get back I have to trade it in for my new real passport and I can’t claim I lost it because I’m already in trouble for letting the last one get stolen.



It’s been over 4 years since I was last in Africa and did any real “hardcore” travel unprotected by 4-star hotel fences and luxuries. I am excited for the adventures but would be lying if I said I wasn’t completely scared and have NO idea what to expect. Last time I was in Guinea, it was one of the hardest, most challenging times of my life so it’ll be weird to go back and face that part of my life again. Will it be just as I remembered it? Will it be better or worse than I’m expecting? I can’t quite comprehend that I really did what I did for those 4 years backpacking with the family. It’s blowing my mind. I feel like it’s such a huge part of my life and who I am, but now going back I feel like I have grown into a completely different person. Was I really that girl who survived all those doorless squatties, bucket showers and the African slums? I’d really set in my mind that we weren’t going anymore and am completely unprepared now. We don’t even have sunscreen! Luckily we did get the malaria tablets. I’m hoping I’ll feel some inspiration from this trip. I’m not sure if there’s going to be electricity, internet or any of those luxuries I’ve become used to again. I’m slightly afraid of abandoning the internet and my book promotions through social media… BUT, we’ll see. It’ll probably be good for me to let my mind rest a bit.
I do like the idea of leaving the snow behind, for a hot 31C sunny weather though :)

Savannah

3 Comments:

At 9:23 AM , Anonymous Brandon the Dad said...

Good for you Savannah, finding your Sihpromatum! Good luck and have a great time with Kees!

 
At 12:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Savannnie!

I am some how really sad that I am not there to walk you to the squatie, hold your toliet paper, plug your nose when you need it, hold you steady, guard the door, find you a save spot, built you a fort or dig you a hole......! lol

Sounds like little Savannah is all grown up going by her self! lol Heehee!

But I am always here if you need Princess! Ha!

Miss you and miss us being together!

So glad you and Kees are having a great time!!

And you are re- living all kinds of reflections of yourself!

You are awesome!

Love you

Bree Bree - The Dreaming tough one!


 
At 12:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s SAFE

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home