Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Plans of Escape

A lot of people ask me what's next and how long I'm going to be here. At first I didn't know so I wasn't answering. More recently I was worried that my next destination after here would be "home" but I still don't like that idea very much.
I have finally made a decision though and bought some tickets out of the Philippines. I will be leaving here at the end of May. I'm going to Taiwan for a week (return tickets from Manila were only $60) and then to Osaka, Japan for a week and from there down to Brisbane, Australia in early June to be reunited with Bre and Ben. I have a working holiday visa for Australia so I could be down there for a while but don't think I'll be moving around much to start. It could and should be interesting but I still think I'll be in for a nasty culture shock.
Other more recent news, hmmm....
Koreans are still strange and we seem to have the opposite approach to everything. We have soup at every meal. They drink the liquid and leave the chunks, I eat the chunks and leave the liquid. I'm just never going to fit in, haha. I got a haircut the other day. I think it might actually be the first time ever in my life that I've paid my own money for a haircut. Had I realized it before I got the haircut I might not've done it, just to set a record. It is very slow here at the school at the moment but we are supposed to be getting a huge group in early March. I might have to do some real work before I leave here. I don't really want to leave though. I like the Philippines, I like the weather and like everyone else, I'm getting lazy. It's just too easy to go on slow time down here. The Koreans might complain about it sometimes, but they are totally on it too. A 50% attendance rate for class is not uncommon as the rest are sleeping off the afternoon. Perfect country for retirement I think.
Ammon

3 Comments:

At 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...... so you have found a fantstic place to be, so many things you like.... why leave?
I understand wanderlust being a victim myself, but I think this will be hard for you. I felt the same way leaving Quebec, it still haunts me some.
I will look forward to the blogs on the culture shock. I won't be suprised if you have a hard time with it.

Big Bear Hugs
The Bear

 
At 5:56 AM , Blogger aiyos said...

I understand completely on the lazy, island vibe. Philippines, especially the provinces, is a great place for slow living practice.

 
At 4:34 PM , Blogger Ju_B said...

hey matey, too bad i didn't get to visit you in the philippines...! I'll be back in Asia from May (Bangkok) so come say hello if plans change at all. Otherwise may catch ya in Brisy for some more cycling :)

Enjoy the last bit of island life then.. (err., well aus is also an island, but u know what i mean). Not that the pace in brisbane is really that quick :)

cheerio!
Julie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home